Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Getting Ready

Back to my original question: How do you prepare for something you've never done before? The only answer I can come up with is questions. Lots, and lots, and lots of questions.

Being that I'm in the Army, I have an advantage. If I don't like the answer I get, I just ask someone else, and continue asking until I get an answer I like. Not very productive, and the answers I like are usually wrong, but what the heck.

For the past 2 weeks, I have been in Alabama doing various and assorted tasks associated with preparing to go to "war" (can't really call what I'm going to do "going to war", but more on that later). I've been ridiculously busy, and have been going from sunup to sundown every day, but darn if it doesn't feel like I'm going 1000 mph in neutral. For every item I check off my list, it seems like two more pop up (usually because I ask the wrong question... I'm starting to appreciate the art of playing dumb). I've accomplished quite a bit in these two weeks, but there is lots left to do in the next 5 weeks or so. While the Army has it’s priorities for the use of my time, they’re going to have to take a back seat to my own priorities, the first of which is spending as much time as possible with my loved ones.

I must say that these past two weeks have provided an excellent opportunity to reflect on all the changes that are about to take place in our lives. One thing I’ve come to realize in all of this foolishness is that I have the easiest part. All I have to do is fly, eat and sleep (and write the occasional blog entry/Email.) I will be extremely busy while I’m deployed, and therefore will be focused on the job at hand. This is not to say that I will not miss and worry about my family and friends, but I will certainly have far more distractions to take my mind off of the loneliness, and I won’t be sitting at home each night anxiously watching CNN and wondering if I was anywhere near the latest bomb that went off in Iraq. I will always know that I am OK. They won’t, and I hate putting that kind of burden and stress on them. I signed up for the Army, they didn’t.

They will be left behind to attempt to continue with their normal day to day activities, without my help. Jamie will have to run things by herself (with help from Spicy…Thank You!!) and will have to constantly explain to Jaislyn why Dada is not home. Jaislyn will be left to wonder to herself why Dada is gone again, and when he will ever come home. They will all watch the news each night, hoping not to hear any sort of bad news, but knowing full well that that is usually the only kind of news that actually makes it out of Iraq. Then they will be left to wonder if I am ok, telling each other that I am probably not anywhere near the devastation-du-jour, but never actually knowing until they get my next Email or call. I am very glad (selfishly) that I am not in their shoes. I don’t do worry very well, and I would be sick with it if the roles were reversed.

That being said, thru the blessing of the Internet and phone cards, I hope to be in daily contact with Jamie, Jaislyn, Mom(s), Dad and Shannon and as many of the rest of you as I possibly can.

In advance, I would like to thank each and every one of you for showing your love and support to me, and moreso to Jamie, Jaislyn, Mom(s) and Dad. The kind words and gestures mean more to me than you will ever know, and knowing that my family will have such wonderful people watching out for them while I am away will help me sleep well at night. Thank you all.

No comments: