Thursday, September 27, 2007

You Don't Know What You've Got...

It is said that we seldom think of what we have, but always think of what we miss.

The closer I get to leaving, the more apparent it becomes how many people and things I take for granted in my day to day life. Things most people probably do not even think twice about, I have been noticing more and more, or at least trying to notice, but more importantly, appreciate.

Little things like waking up in your own bed and getting a big hug and kiss and a giggly "Good Morning Dada!"from someone who is still filled with the joys and wonders of simply discovering a new day; or turning on the TV and being "forced" to decide which one of the 128 different channels is the least boring; or calling a friend just to say hi; or even just deciding what you feel like having for dinner...these are normal, daily occurances for many people. They are for me as well, at least for now. Pretty soon, well... lets just say my choices are about to become far more restricted.

I'm not sure if Jamie realizes it or not (sometimes I'm not as good at showing things as maybe I should be), but in the 5 days I've been home from Alabama, I've been trying my best to stop and smell the proverbial roses. We've been doing "fun" things a little more than usual. Jaislyn has been to the train park twice in 5 days, we've gone out to eat 3 times (including once to a brand new restaurant that we'd both been wanting to try), we've seen 3 movies, and we've been spending most of our time together as a family. While I was in Alabama, I was also able to take a quick weekend trip down to visit Mom, Dad and Shannon. We were able to spend a good deal of "Quality time" together, just enjoying each others' company. It's been wonderful, but the question that keeps going through my head is, why did it take me getting deployed to take better advantage of what I've had right in front of me all along?

The funny, if not sad thing is, I've been through all this before, albeit on a slightly different scale. When I left for Basic Training a little more than 13 years ago, I had no idea what I was in for. In an earlier post, I compared being deployed with being incarcerated. I'm here to tell you, Basic Training and Warrant Officer Candidate School are as close as I ever hope to come to being incarcerated. I was stripped of all but the most basic of rights and privileges for about 4 months. I had nothing. Nothing that is, but my thoughts, memories and imagination. It was during that time of my life that I learned how much is taken for granted in this great country of ours, and unfortunately, I'd forgotten those lessons learned until now.

My Dad always tells me that things happen for a reason, and while those reasons may be beyond our current level of comprehension, some day it will make sense. It took me a while to realize it, but he is exactly right. Why am I being deployed right now vs. three years ago or two years from now? I don't know. But I do know there is a reason, and if that reason is just to remind me of how much my family and friends mean to me, and of how truly blessed I have been in this life, well then it will be worth the trip.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your Dad...is one smart cookie!

J & L Callow / Pinetop, AZ